Valid forms of ID for Suppliers of Scrap Metal
The necessary regulations specifying acceptable forms of supplier identification that can be accepted by a scrap metal dealer has been published (The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 (Prescribed Documents and Information for Verification of Name and Address) Regulations 2013).
Section 11 of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act requires all licensed scrap metal dealers to verify the full name and address of a person who is supplying scrap metal to them.
These regulations set out the acceptable forms of identification.
According to the regulations, to verify a person’s full name, photograph and date of birth, the following documents will be acceptable:
- a valid United Kingdom passport;
- a valid passport issued by an EEA state;
- a valid Great Britain or Northern Ireland photo-card driving licence; or
- a valid UK biometric immigration document.
To verify a person’s full name and residential address the following documents will be acceptable:
- a bank or building society statement;
- a credit or debit card statement;
- a council tax demand letter or statement; or
- a utility bill, but not a mobile telephone bill.